Monday, August 5, 2013

The Mysterious Figure of Tom Bombadil

I promise. I'll try to write here more often, but with vacations with my family during the summer and college coming up, you'll have to be patient.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.
None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the Master:

His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

The merry old fellow Tom Bombadil. His songs are sometimes a little silly, especially when they get to the "Hey dol! Merry dol!" I've even heard some people compare this minor character to Winnie the Pooh.

That's most likely the reason that most people would have given to not have Tom Bombadil in film world. "Oh, he wasn't that important." The main one is - "It would have taken too much time to go over the Tom scenes."

However, I am one of those people who persist in the question Why was Tom Bombadil deleted? And why do we persist in questioning? Perhaps it is because we saw something more in old Tom than some other people have.

Even though the last time I read The Lord of the Rings was a little over than a year ago, I still distinctly remember the scene where Tom commands Frodo to give him the One Ring. When Tom puts it on his finger, the Ring does not make him disappear. It has no power over him. In fact, one could say that Tom seems to have a power over the Ring itself - he makes it disappear! Gandalf seems to suggest that the Ring has no power over Tom because he is a trivial, light-hearted, not-caring fellow. But I wonder if Tolkien would really want to send a message that shallow people avoid people? I think not. I think that perhaps Tom's shallowness was an outer garment to conceal something more - something that we see in his power of the Barrow-Wrights and Old Man Willow.


Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

Could it be that Tom Bombadil is another Christ figure in The Lord of the Rings?

In answer to Frodo's question about who Tom Bombadil was, Goldberry did not give a description of her husband's habits. Instead, she simply said, He is.

2 comments:

Arda said...

Very interesting - I noticed those quotes as well and your conclusion would make sense with all the references to Christianity that Tolkien puts in his works.

Or Tom Bombadil is the Witch-king: http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm

Alyianna Baggins said...

Wow...now that really makes me think. I think I'm going to have to go think about that for a while. *expression of utter confusion on face*