Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tolkien's Best Hits

We all love our Tolkien quotes, but have you ever read an article that had Tolkien's best quotes? No, I didn't think so. Here are a few that I enjoyed from Cliff Broadway's post on TORN (I didn't include the quotes that could have inspired the 60's hippie movement, but I enjoyed it very much, nonetheless):


Best exclamation of joy:
“Ass! Fool! Thrice worthy and beloved Barliman!”


Wittiest rejoinder:
Saruman- ”For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colors!”
Gandalf- ”I liked white better.”


Spookiest moment:
Farmer Cotton found Frodo lying on his bed; he was clutching a white gem that hung on a chain about his neck and he seemed half in a dream. “It is gone forever,” he said, “and now all is dark and empty.”


Most wonderful hobbit irony:
Then there was Lobelia. …and there was such clapping and cheering when she appeared, leaning on Frodo’s arm but still clutching her umbrella, that she was quite touched, and drove away in tears. She had never in her life been popular before.


Next time I annually read The Lord of the Rings, should I make notes and make my own "best quotes" list? :)



2 comments:

Treskie said...

I love Tolkien.

And go for it!

Alyianna Baggins said...

Okey dokey - one word of warning, though...it'll probably be a little while before I do my annual reading again since I did it just before The Hobbit came out. :)